Monday, April 16, 2007

New York City in April

On Thursday, I took our daughter (age 17) and our Vietnamese daughter (age 16) to NYC. We had such a delightful time. Our highlights included visiting South Street Seaport, bartering with the vendors on Canal Street, a ferris wheel ride in the Toys 'R Us Store in Times Square and a carriage ride around Central Park! The World Trade Center Site still brings tears to my eyes as I think of those who were lost that day. Our lives have changed so much in the past few years, haven't they?

While on the subway, I spent a lot of time looking at people's shoes. I think I probably looked at shoes because I was taught it is rude to stare at others. And, there are so many people to watch on the subway!!!! I think that you can learn alot about people by the shoes they wear. I saw tennis shoes and high heels, work boots and clogs, sturdy no-nonsense black shoes and even a pair of red sparkly shoes--exactly like those that Dorothy wore in the Wizard of Oz.

Our adventures in New York City left us with the memories of a great trip. And, I had some much needed down time--and although it was a busy three days, it was a different kind of busy. We enjoyed the days and each other.

I think that mini vacations like this one are the best therapy! May your week be filled with joy, happiness and a mini-vacation--even a mini-vacation with a good book or movie.

5 comments:

Precious Nushy said...

Wonderful! This is the kind of "family journal" style blog that many people have and that their family members appreciate, especially those away at college or in different places.

Olivia said...

Very nice! Sounds like you had a great trip. Good for you.

Sara said...

I always check out shoes, always have. Shoes can tell you a lot about people. Especially if you can check one persons shoes everyday for a variety. However with our new desk I can't even see my own feet. Luckily I have books to shelve and pull so I can peek at feet.

Oriskany Falls Library said...

Sounds wonderful! I remember doing that for my daughters 16th birthday. That's what she wanted was a trip to NYC. Lots of great memories from them. You and the girls will remember that for years to come!

Anonymous said...

I love visiting New York - do it once a year. It's just so busy.